The Palomaki Foundation is a private foundation established to accomplish the philanthropic interests of John M. Palomaki and his family.
Our mission is to support organizations and communities in their efforts to educate, innovate, and be sustainable – to thrive economically, socially, and environmentally.
John is currently volunteering in a number of capacities in the Victor, NY, area:
- Member of Victor Sustainability Advisory Committee, providing input on new Comprehensive Plan and seeking Climate Smart Communities certification.
- Member of Victor Central School District’s Technology Committee, developing a new Technology Plan for 2015-2018.
- Working with Victor PIE and IPAC on an enrichment program directory.
- Coach, Junior First LEGO League team.
- LED a team to develop and gain support for sustainability vision, messaging, and green building guidelines for the Bloomfield Center Redevelopment Plan, which were adopted by the Bloomfield Township Council and contributed to a New Jersey Future 2009 Smart Growth Award.
- FOUNDED and coordinated Greener Bloomfield, a community sustainability organization, guiding volunteers and Township Council and Administration to make Bloomfield one of the first 34 municipalities to achieve Sustainable Jersey certification.
- WROTE unanimously approved resolutions and ordinances on sustainability goals, sustainable land use, water conservation, reduction of vehicle idling, grasscycling, and Project Porchlight.
- MANAGED volunteers to produce two Green Fests, held monthly meetings, conducted awareness and education programs, and produced website for community engagement.
- DEVELOPED personal project of a gut-remodel of our 1930-built residence to US Green Building Council LEED for Homes Platinum eligibility into a springboard for sustainability discussions.
EDUCATION AND COMMUNITY SUPPORT
- FOUNDED (in 2000) and served as President and Director (until 2008, now Director Emeritus) of the 501(c)(3) public charity Inspire! of Spencer-Van Etten (formerly the Youth and Community Foundation), helping the people of that community LEARN, DREAM, CREATE, and SUSTAIN by promoting enthusiasm for learning, encouraging high aspirations, and supporting innovation, creativity, and vitality in the youth and community.
- ENHANCED educational opportunities in a poor, rural school district, mobilizing community members, developing vision and strategy, and directing fundraising and programs valued at over $300,000 for innovative education and community development projects.
- DEVELOPED and implemented the Paperless Township Council Project for Bloomfield Township, NJ.
- REVIEWED and made recommendations for Bloomfield Township 2009 and 2010 operating budgets as leader of Budget Advisory Committee.
- CONSULTED on Bloomfield Township web site redesign and content management.